Improve Your Scientific Communications Skills
TRAINING ON SCIENCE COMMUNICATION
Offered by IEDCR and CDC Foundation, USA
A five days training is being offered by the Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control & Research (IEDCR) of the MOH&FW and the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Foundation.
Applications are sought for the 1st Batch of the Science Communication Training Program Bangladesh (SCTPB), 2019 from motivated individuals who work every day to improve people's health and communicate information to patients and the public.
The goal of the SCTPB is to strengthen the scientific communication capacity of Public Health personnel and social scientists in Bangladesh to help develop the potentials of the future professional public health authors.
Classroom courses on scientific writing, help produce scientific manuscripts and abstracts for medical journals, public health bulletins, producing posters for conferences, and enabling to speak in scientific conferences and public dissemination seminars, transforming scientific information into languages made understandable to the general readers.
• Principles of effective communication: analyze and define audience, know how to present data effectively, etc.
• Writing effectively: improve grammar, know what words to use and techniques to craft clear, concise sentences and paragraphs
• Writing scientific manuscripts for publication: IMRAD
• Abstract writing and ancillary materials: identify sections of an abstract, evaluate the quality of an abstract, describe characteristics of a good abstract
• Data visualization: improve effective visual display of data, learn to create visuals that improve understanding of data
• Editorial process: understand different reference styles, learn the three levels of editing, know how to edit a document professionally
• Exercises: Rewrite and edit manuscripts, identify sections of abstracts and analyze and edit abstracts.
Individuals who complete the course will:
1. Understand and apply the principle of effective written communication
2. Know how to write scientific manuscripts using the IMRAD format
3. Know how to write an effective abstract
Participants will receive a certificate granted by IEDCR and US CDC upon completion of the course
Completed manuscripts may be considered for publication in the National Bulletin of Public Health, Bangladesh
Who should apply
Motivated individuals from the following groups (but not limited to) working every day to improve people's health and communicating to patients and the public will benefit the most:
1) Public health professionals
2) Social scientists
5) Research staff
Requirements of candidates
1. Must have experience in the Public Health Field for at least 3 years
2. Must have interest in research
3. Must have a manuscript in hand (working or prepared)
4. English proficiency in reading, writing, and speaking
5. Computer proficiency
Applications should include
1. Curriculum Vitae (CV) should have
2. Contact information, including phone, e-mail, and address
3. Attested copies of academic certificates
4. Contact information of two references
5. Abstract/Synopsis of working manuscript
Submit : February 25, 2019
email : [email protected]
a. Eligible shortlisted candidates will be contacted
b. Top scoring participants will be selected for the course (max 25 seats)
The authority holds the right for final selection
Per Diem will be given as per approved rates
Tentative Course dates: 1st half of March 2019 (at IEDCR Dhaka)