BECOME A DISEASE DETECTIVE !
Join the Next Group of Fellows in the
Field Epidemiology Training Programme Bangladesh (FETPB)
FETPB is a unique 2-year training opportunity for government physicians and veterinarians at the Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control & Research (IEDCR) of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.The training is in collaboration with the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (U.S. CDC).
The goal of the FETPB is to strengthen the human capacity of the public health system of Bangladesh to identify and respond to public health threats and to produce the next group of public health leaders.
Since 1980, U.S. CDC partnered with Ministries of Health to establish 70 Field Epidemiology Training Programs worldwide. Fellows responded to outbreaks of Ebola in West Africa, Zika in South America. These programs produced more than 3,700 graduates from 72 countries. Many graduates obtain high-level leadership positions within the health system.
Successes of the FETPB
- Fellows led investigations of outbreaks of human illness including: Anthrax, Nipah virus, Cholera, Leptospirosis, Influenza, suspected MERS-CoV, and many more!
- Fellows evaluated and improved national surveillance systems for adverse events following immunization, tuberculosis, enteric illness, and others.
- Fellows presented their public health findings to international audiences at the U.S. CDC (U.S.A.), International Conference on Emerging Infectious Diseases (U.S.A.), Training Programs in Epidemiology and Public Health Interventions Network Global Conference (Mexico).
Training at FETPB
- Classroom: courses in epidemiology, biostatistics, disease surveillance, outbreak investigation, communications, and management
- Field: conduct outbreak investigations, surveillance system evaluations and data analyses, disease control and prevention, research, reporting to decision-makers, and teaching
Benefits of FETPB
- Graduation certificate granted by IEDCR and U.S. CDC upon completion of the program
- MSc degree in Applied Epidemiology from Dhaka University
Requirements of candidate
- Government physicians and veterinarians only
- MBBS or DVM
- Be at least 5 years after passing MBBS or DVM
- Have government service record as physician or veterinarian for at least 2 years
- Deputation criteria will apply
- English proficiency – reading, writing, speaking, and understanding
- Computer proficiency
- Maximum age limit of 40 years
- Physically able to conduct fieldwork
- Willingness to travel, on occasion, on short notice within Bangladesh
- Willingness to work extended hours and weekends, as needed
*PRIOR APPLICANTS, NOTE: You are encouraged to apply. However, to ensure fairness during
selection, prior applicants (because of their experience with the selection process) will receive a
15% reduction in their final score. This final score is used to select trainees into the class.
Optional, but preferred criteria
1) Advanced public health degree (MPH, MPhil, etc.) and/or post-graduate training or diploma
2) Current involvement in surveillance, outbreak investigation, or public health response activities
How to apply
1) Submit by February 28, 2017
a. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
i. Include all points listed under “Requirements of candidate”
ii. Include points listed under “Optional, but preferred criteria”, if applicable
iii. Include your contact phone, email, and address
b. Attested copies of academic certificates
i. For MBBS or DVM
ii. For other masters degrees or other post-graduate training or diploma, if applicable
c. Name, address, email, and contact number of at least 2 references from persons who know your work well
d. Submit to: Office of the Director, IEDCR, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212;
Attention: FETPB Application (ON Envelop)
a. Eligible Short listed candidates will sit for a written test
b. Top scoring participants selected for a 3-week certificate introductory course on epidemiology in April 2017
c. All participants who complete the introductory course on epidemiology will receive a certificate of completion from IEDCR and US CDC.
d. Participants will undergo interview by panel consisting of IEDCR and US CDC staff
e. Successful Participants (in written and interview) will be chosen for 2-year FETP,B course
f. Beginning of FETPB course – with July 2017 intake of 2017-2018 Dhaka University Academic Year.
Additional information (click links below)